Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Wuthering Heights

It's been a while but here's the next book I read. I'm a few books after this one, but I couldn't be bothered to write... something about the lecture seeping into my mind.

Wuthering Heights
By Emily Jane Bronte
"Wuthering Heights is Emily Brontë's only novel. It was first published in 1847 under the pseudonym Ellis Bell, and a posthumous second edition was edited by her sister Charlotte.
The name of the novel comes from the Yorkshire manor on the moors on which the story centers (as an adjective, Wuthering is a Yorkshire word referring to turbulent weather). The narrative tells the tale of the all-encompassing and passionate, yet thwarted, love between Heathcliff and Catherine Earnshaw, and how this unresolved passion eventually destroys them and many around them.
Now considered a classic of English literature, Wuthering Heights met with mixed reviews by critics when it first appeared, mainly because of the narrative's stark depiction of mental and physical cruelty. Though Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre was originally considered the best of the Brontë sisters' works, many subsequent critics of Wuthering Heights argued that its originality and achievement made it superior. Wuthering Heights has also given rise to many adaptations and inspired works, including films, radio, television dramatisations, a musical by Bernard J. Taylor, ballet, opera, and song (notably the Kate Bush hit "Wuthering Heights")." ~wikipedia.com

In a nutshell
I was rather unlucky after reading my last book to find myself in the situation to read about yet more nobles and the situations in which they live. The narrator changes a few times but that doesn't do much to disrupt the flow of the story. It's a frame story as some literary critics might want to call it.

The story itself is interesting enough, I might say, but sincerely, I'd have rather skipped it. Aside from the ending characters, I found myself lacking the power to like the main characters of the story and the fake main character, as I like to call him (is the first narrator, then the narration is taken over by his maid, which continues on with the rest of the story) is the one I personally would have liked to hear more about. That's how boring the story was.

The author gave poetic justice in the end, but the fact that the fake main character had no input on the happenings of evens in the whole book, I found it a bit lacking. Maybe it's me, maybe it is cause I really had trouble giving a damn about those others, and the story is quite interesting... But to tell the truth I didn't find it so... maybe I was just unlucky to read it so soon after Pride and Prejudice... ah well.

"I have just returned from a visit to my landlord - the solitary neighbour that I shall be troubled with. This is certainly a beautiful country! In all England, I do not believe that I could have fixed on a situation so completely removed from the stir of society. A perfect misanthropist's heaven: and Mr. Heathcliff and I are such a suitable pair to divide the desolation between us. A capital fellow! He little imagined how my heart warmed towards him when I beheld his black eyes withdraw so suspiciously under their brows, as I rode up, and when his fingers sheltered themselves, with a jealous resolution, still further in his waistcoat, as I announced my name.
'Mr. Heathcliff?' I said.
A nod was the answer.
'Mr. Lockwood, your new tenant, sir. I do myself the honour of calling as soon as possible after my arrival, to express the hope that I have not inconvenienced you by my perseverance in soliciting the occupation of Thrushcross Grange: I heard yesterday you had had some thoughts - '
'Thrushcross Grange is my own, sir,' he interrupted, wincing. 'I should not allow any one to inconvenience me, if I could hinder it - walk in!'
The 'walk in' was uttered with closed teeth, and expressed the sentiment, 'Go to the Deuce:' even the gate over which he leant manifested no sympathising movement to the words; and I think that circumstance determined me to accept the invitation: I felt interested in a man who seemed more exaggeratedly reserved than myself." ~Wuthering Heights, Chapter 1


No comments:

Post a Comment